Aug 12, 2008

Not yo' mama's Taco Soup

This is another one from Chrisy's family collection. I don't know what is so special about this recipe. I can tell you that I've given it the above title because we have had NUMEROUS guests tell us after, "When you said Taco Soup was for dinner I though 'Oh Great.' My mom used to make taco soup and it was never very good. But this was fantastic!" I am not joking! So even if your memories of Taco Soup leave you wanting (or gagging), give it another try with this super easy, super yummy recipe. (I even made it this time to show you pictures! Mostly because my brother was coming to visit and I knew it would feed the "human garbage disposal" as we so delicately call him)

Ingredients:

1 LB Ground Beef
1 pouch Taco Seasoning
1 can kidney beans
1 can of corn
1 can of diced tomatoes (pre-seasoned OK)
1 large jar of tomato sauce (I always use our left over spaghetti sauce)
1 cup of water or more as needed
cheddar
sour cream
tortilla chips


Brown your ground beef and drain the fat. Add taco seasoning to meet according to package directions.

Add remaining ingredients (NOT cheese, sour cream, or tortillas). Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and let it cook, covered, a few hours, stirring occasionally, adding water if necessary. You can also do this in a crock pot. It will take longer to cook - 4-5 hours. For me, I just do it on the stove because I have to brown the beef anyway - why make more dishes for myself?
I have to get a final picture and I will. I was so hungry and it smelt so good, I forgot :^)
Top with cheddar cheese (or whatever cheese you like) and/or sour cream and eat with tortilla chips. Enjoy!

No comments: