Dec 2, 2008

Cranberry Citrus Bread

This recipe is fabulous! Sarah brought it over for Thanksgiving and I have gradually eaten the whole loaf... With the help of Noel of course.

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cups orange juice or lemon juice
2 TBS shortening
1 TBS grated orange peel
1 egg, well beaten
1 1/2 cups cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350. Grease loaf pan.

1. Mix together four, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl
2. Stir in OJ or lemon juice, shortening, orange peel, and egg. Mix until well blended.
3. Stir in cranberries and nuts
4. Spread into pan
5. Bake for 55 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean
6. Cool on a rack 15 minutes
7. Remove from pan and cool completely
8. Wrap and store overnight

Of course who can really wait until it's cooled over night? Chrissy and I always thought this was some sort of test - how much self restraint do you REALLY have? Chrissy, the kids, and I always ate the Zucchini Bread while the butter could still melt on the bread... Yummmmm

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was awesome bread! Sarah added orange zest and that made it truly amazing! It was a great meal! I couldn't get over reading all your preparations! I guess that is all in my head now after so many years. I just write a menu and go from there!

Anonymous said...

THIS JUST IN FROM A BRITISH COUSIN OF MINE- GIVE IT A TRY. MARTIN REALLY LIKES POPCORN SO I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE REALLY GOOD!

Delicious Chicken Recipe with Popcorn

Here is a chicken recipe that also includes the use of popcorn in with the Stuffing - imagine that!
When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out.


Give this a try.

1 whole chicken
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing
1 cup of uncooked popcorn
Salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 220c.


Brush chicken well with melted butter, salt and pepper. Fill cavity with a little stuffing and fill with popcorn.
Place in baking pan with the neck end towards the back of the oven. Listen to the popping sounds.
When the chicken's arse blows the oven door open and the chicken flies across the room, it is done.


And you thought I couldn't cook!!!

Fichtner Family said...

So cool! Thanks Kathy!